Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I've been outed. Twice.

So as the title suggests, I've been outed. The first was yesterday at work. Last week I approached our new broker with questions regarding medical leave because I am considered self employed and an independant contractor. I don't get any paid maternity leave from the government but I was wondering how it would work with my license and monthly office expenses when I go on a leave. I know I have some time to figure this all out but when it comes to money I like to be prepared and know in advance any costs that may occur. So I told the broker I was pregnant and he gave me some options to consider when it's time. Yesterday I was at a meeting and the broker's senior came over to me and said that he heard we were expanding our family. I turned bright red and said thanks but we weren't really announcing it yet. I felt bad because I knew he felt like a jackass but now a few people who were sitting with me now know and I'm sure the word will be spread soon enough at work.
On to the second outing. Last week was my birthday and I had received an email through facebook from D's uncle who lives in the Philippines. We went and visited him and his partner a few years ago and it was one of the best trips that we had ever been on. So he asked how I was doing etc, and so I emailed him back saying that we weren't really telling anyone yet but they were going to be uncles. Then today I get a message, on my facebook wall, his partner congratulated me saying he heard that we are having a baby! Oh my. I mean I guess it's got to come out at some point and it solves the akwardness problem but it's still kinda weird. Not much I can do now though.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, but you made it almost to 12w without being called out, that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people just get so excited and have to tell others. I told some people this past week and told them to not tell anyone because I have my co-workers on facebook. I don't want them finding out that way.
    Well, you are almost 12 weeks ... so it's not too bad. You did well so far!

    ReplyDelete