So let me start with a bit of background information. At the hotel that I have been working at, there has been a guest in who's wife is in the hospital. She was pregnant with complications that had something to do with a previous c-section she had, the amount of scar tissue resulting from it, and the new baby growing into the uterus. I'm not sure on the details, it's not really the sort of thing you want to ask lots of questions about. She was air lifted to Toronto a couple weeks ago to undergo surgery with a team of specialists to remove the baby (he was close to term at this point) and there they could better handle the health of the mother and baby.
Well I hadn't worked for awhile so I didn't know any updates and I see that tonight he's checking in. He comes over to me and I see that he's only in for 2 nights this time (he was in for weeks and weeks at a time before) and I ask how the baby is. He tells me that his son is doing great, he just needs to be monitored for the next few days at the local hospital and then he'll be released to go home. Then I ask how his wife is doing. He tells me that he buried her yesterday. After 4 hours in surgery to seperate the uterus and the baby, which went well, she had a random blood clot and ended up bleeding to death.
After he left the desk I lost it. I couldn't help but feeling horrible for reminding him of such a awful time and also a small part of me was upset because even though she had complications to start with, she died due to a completely random thing that could happen to anyone-including me.
Death is a scary thing to think about and even scarier when it feels like the possibility could be closer than you think. I understand that mortality rates are much less now for infants and women giving birth but somehow it still just isn't that comforting.
A small part of me is still terrified at what could happen.
Fun On-the-Go with Crayola Color Wonder
9 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment