Monday, March 30, 2009

Telling

My aunt called me on Sat night to tell me that she was in town and to see if I wanted to stop by for a visit to see her and Zach (he's 3 months old now). So I went over to my uncle's parents house (that's where they stay when they are in town) and it was so nice to catch up. Zach has grown so much and it was nice to see my aunt who now is no longer shy about whipping out the boob and feeding him right there infront of everyone! (I hope I'm a bit more discreet!). So the whole time I was sitting there, I wanted to tell her that I was pregnant SOOOOOOO bad but my uncle's parents were there and wouldn't leave and I didn't want to say anything infront of them since it felt super akward. So I'm trying to make chitchat with her, trying to buy my time until the parents went to bed, and at 11pm they finally decided they were tired. My aunt and uncle were looking like they wanted to go to bed too, and I was SO tired myself but dammit, I wanted to wait for an oportune time to tell her. So the parents left, and I just spit it out! She was so happy for me, asked me tons of questions, and we hugged. It was great. It's also nice because she just had her first baby and she will be able to share lots of info with me. Oh and I learnt that she had no morning sickness. Bleh.

One thing I've been experiencing is that I always thought that as soon as I was pregnant and we decided to tell people it would be an easy thing to say and everyone would be so happy. Well that's not the case. I mean people are happy for us but I found that it's SOOO AKWARD telling people. It doesn't really come up in conversation and even if it does, then I end up just blurting it out. I like telling people and getting their reactions but I wish I could just wear a sign or something-it would be much easier. Like how do you tell those friends that you just don't see that often because you are in different cities or circles of friends? Update your facebook status? I don't know but either way it's akward!

3 comments:

  1. You could send them an e-card or something? I have no idea. I know for telling Fred and our families, I have a t-shirt from CafePress.com (hence my one yellow t-shirt) that says babe at the top and has an arrow pointing up, and baby at the waist with an arrow pointing down.

    But yeah, I've totally seen a bunch of women notify everyone through their facebook status, though most of them did it at 11 or 12 weeks. Complete with sonogram profile pics for some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I'm not planning on telling the masses until after I'm 12 weeks. I just think the whole thing is awkward and telling people on facebook is sorta lame-o, but that's just me. Maybe I'll just tell the people I already told to tell everyone for me :P

    ReplyDelete